Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Newport Beach vacation

Toward the end of June we went on vacation down to Newport Beach. We had a really nice time. The kids spent tons of time in the pool and we saw a couple of movies, which we are too far away from town to do during the year. We tried out our new underwater camera, which the kids thought was a hoot to play with. And all in all had a great time.

We took quite a long time coming home. We drove up to Long Beach to where the Queen Mary is docked and we took a tour that was really cool. Then we took our time driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (which I have always wanted to do). It was so darn pretty! Drove thru Big Sur (absolutely incredible) and also something I have wanted to do. And on our drive up we stopped at a pull out along the side of the road and saw Elephant Seals in the water and on the beach! That was one of the coolest things I have seen in nature!

We spent a night in a little town called Solvang. It is a dutch community and the cutest little town ever (it is on our list to go back and spend some time there). After that we continued up the coast to San Francisco where we spent another night. We went to China town and had some not so great Chinese food, but we had fun! The next day we puttered around San Fran until the evening when we headed to Oakland to pick up my brother, Josh and my sister in law, Jamie and my baby nephew JD! Then we piled into the car and drove the 4.5 hours home to Yosemite!!!

1 comment:

Gib said...

Solvang is NOT a Dutch community. It's Danish. Perhaps you will be lucky enough to visit the real thing someday. I've been to Denmark, and I found it to be one of the most beautiful and happy places on Earth. I've been to Solvang, too. Not a bad place to spend a few hours.